Scroll down for job openings
concrete pump operator
A Concrete Pump Operator is a skilled worker who works on a construction job site. Concrete pump operators are responsible for operating concrete pumps to deliver concrete to a building project. They must be able to read and follow directions carefully in order to ensure that the concrete is delivered to its intended destination. They must be able to learn and understand the different types of concrete mixes, slump and other factors that affect the flow of concrete. Operators must have a high school diploma. A CDL is required to operate a boom pump.
Concrete pump operators must also have a strong understanding of how their equipment works. This includes knowing how to operate all pump controls properly and being able to identify any issues with the flow so they can pump the mix efficiently and safely. Concrete pump operators have a wide range of responsibilities, which can include:
- Operating the controls of a concrete pump to ensure smooth operation during pumping operations
- Inspecting the equipment for defects such as cracks or leaks in hoses, valves, or seals before each use
- Reading plans and specifications to determine pump size requirements and placement of the pump on the job site
- Mixing concrete according to specifications for strength and consistency
- Making any adjustments necessary to keep the concrete pump in good operating condition
- Operating the concrete pump during the concrete delivery process
- Observing the concrete being poured to ensure that it is delivered to the desired location
- Operating the controls of a concrete mixer to mix ingredients together and deliver the concrete to the desired location
- Cleaning out the pump at the end of a job to ensure that no concrete remains inside the hopper, pump, pipes or hosing system
Concrete pump operators’ salaries vary depending on their level of experience, the company size and geographic location. Pay increases dramatically with ACPA certification. There is currently a high demand for new operators to enter the field.
Median Annual Salary: $52,500 ($25.24/hour)
Top 10% Annual Salary: $89,500 ($43.03/hour)